Friday, December 30, 2011

My Top 10 Nonfiction Books of 2011

I read a lot of books in 2011. Most of them were really good, so it was really hard to pick my top 10, but here they are. Be sure to check out my Top 10 Fiction Books of 2011 also.

10. Earthen Vessels by Matthew Lee Anderson (Bethany House 2011) EARTHEN VESSELS was one of the most interesting books I've ever read and one of the most thought-provoking. Anderson takes us on an exploration of the importance of our physical bodies to life and to our journey with God. The book explores the topics of sex, tattoos, homosexuality, death, and more. Everyone should read this book. (Read my review here)

9. You Lost Me by David Kinnaman (Baker Books 2011) As someone who has worked with the young adult age group in a church context, as well as someone in that age group, I found Kinnaman's findings insightful and incredible helpful to churches wanting to reach disconnected young adults, as well as helping them develop a faith that pervades all facets of their lives. Definitely a book to read again and again. (Read my review )

8.
The Christian Faith by Michael Horton (Zondervan 2011) Horton's systematic theology is a moving exploration of the most important tenets of Christianity. It's a big book, but it's interesting throughout. (Read my review here)

7. Is God a Moral Monster? by Paul Copan (Baker Books 2011) The violence in the Old Testament has always been a struggle for me, but Copan explores the issue and shows the love God extends toward humanity. If you've struggled with how God is portrayed in the Old Testament versus the New Testament, this is a book you'll want to check out. (Read my review here)

6. Innocent Blood by John Ensor (Cruciform Press 2011) This book is about the biblical stance on abortion, but it's also much more than that. INNOCENT BLOOD is a call for believers to stand up for the innocent and to protect human life. This is a very challenging book in that you may discover that you're pro-life theoretically, but pro-choice in practice. Ensor brilliantly explores the depths of God's care for human life. (Read my review here)

5. The Accidental Creative by Todd Henry (Portfolio 2011) Henry outlines a very practical creative process for generating ideas consistently and repeatedly. The ideas in this book are incredibly revolutionary if you're a creative. (Read my review here)

4. Tempted and Tried by Russell Moore (Crossway 2011) Jesus' temptations in the desert has always been one of my favorite stories about Jesus from the Bible, and Moore shows us how Jesus' temptations show us the pattern of our own temptations and how to defeat them. Moore's writing is fresh and transparent. This is a much needed exploration of the biblical battle against temptation. (Read my review here)

3. Quitter by Jon Acuff (Lampo Press 2011) QUITTER is about closing the gap between your day job and your dream job. Using his humorous wit, Acuff shows us how to discover the dream that's been locked inside of us and gives us great encouragement and practical advice on how to make our dreams a reality. QUITTER is an incredible book that I'll turn to over and over again. (Read my review here)

2. Gospel Wakefulness by Jared C. Wilson (Crossway 2011) GOSPEL WAKEFULNESS is a beautiful look at what the gospel is to us when everything else in our lives is stripped away. Wilson reveals how the gospel comes alive to us like never before, producing greater love for the God who rescued us. I especially enjoyed the chapter on gospel-centered sanctification. This book is brilliant. (Read my review here)

1. The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy & Kathy Keller (Dutton Books 2011) I love every book that Timothy Keller writes, so when I learned that he was releasing a book on marriage, I knew it would have to be incredible. Keller writes with amazing insight both into the biblical teaching on marriage and the culture of people he's writing to. Keller illustrates God's beautiful purpose for marriage brilliantly, and reading this book with a commitment to applying its principles will strengthen marriages and provide a strong foundation for singles looking to get married in the future. (Read my review here)

No comments:

Post a Comment