Thursday, January 24, 2013

Review of GUITARIST'S GUIDE TO SCALES OVER CHORDS by Chad Johnson



Photo Credit: Hal Leonard

Rating: 5 out of 5

I've been playing guitar for several years and, like nearly any guitar player, I love playing guitar solos. I've spent a lot of time learning scales, licks, and I've been able to play some things well, but I'm nowhere near where I want to be. I've been going through a new guitar technique book that I'm finding to be really helpful. The GUITARIST'S GUIDE TO SCALES OVER CHORDS by Chad Johnson is a resource any guitar player, no matter where they are in their proficiency, could seriously benefit from.

The book starts with the vital foundation of the major scale, how this scale is built, and this is integral to knowing how the rest of the scales presented in the book are formed. You'll learn how chord progressions work, scale positions all over the fretboard for each of the scales and modes, and most importantly, how to apply scales over chord progressions.

This book puts you in a position to have a lot to work from when it comes time to "improvise" a solo. The book even includes a CD with the tracks panned left and right to help you learn the exercises in the book, as well as play over the chord progressions on the CD.

The book is well-structured and should help anyone improve as a player. I've read a lot of guitar technique books, but this is definitely one of the most helpful I've come across.

To purchase this book, head to Music Dispatch or your local music store.

Review copy provided by Hal Leonard Books

No comments:

Post a Comment