Friday, March 22, 2013

Review of LIVE SOUND FUNDAMENTALS by Bill Evans

LIVE SOUND FUNDAMENTALS by Bill Evans is a book that covers the basics of engineering live audio. The first time I showed to do sound reinforcement when I was studying music and recording in college, I had no idea what I was doing and the process of learning was very frustrating. The textbook we had wasn't helpful, and I wish I had learned from a book like LIVE SOUND FUNDAMENTALS.

Evans' book is immediately helpful because it begins at the beginning of the signal chain and follows it all the way to the end of the chain. The book covers each of the points in the signal chain by devoting a chapter to each. Evans explains each of the concepts clearly, putting things in a way that beginners can understand. He even explains the etiquette an engineer should follow when doing a live audio event.

There are many books that cover sound engineering from a recording perspective,  but this book is the best I've come across to cover live audio. It's a text I'll go back to over and over again.

Review copy provided by Course Technology PTR

Photo Credit: Course Technology PTR

1 comment: