Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Review of TEACHING AS LEADERSHIP by Steven Farr

I'm not a teacher, but I'm currently working on my alternative teaching certification. I used to teach in a church context, and I'm really excited about transitioning to teaching in an academic context. But I also want to learn as much as I can to be an effective teacher. I picked up TEACHING AS LEADERSHIP by Steven Farr of Teach For America. In the book, the author covers six proven principals of some of the best teachers. They are:

Set Big Goals
Invest Students and Their Families
Plan Purposefully
Execute Effectively
Continuously Increase Effectiveness
Work Relentlessly

The author shows how the best teachers exhibit these principals and gives how-to advice on how teachers can carry these principals into the classroom. I was drawn to this book because of its focus on leadership and a teacher being a leader. The book is good for teachers who truly want to invest in the lives of students and help them to be the best that they can be.

Review copy provided by Jossey-Bass

Photo Credit: Jossey-Bass

No comments:

Post a Comment