Monday, September 23, 2013

Review of AGAINST THE GODS by John Currid

I've always had an interest in the Old Testament and how God is presented in it. For that reason, I was interested in reading John Currid's new book AGAINST THE GODS. While it isn't exactly what I was expecting from the title, it does give incredible insight on the relationship between Israel's Scriptures and the writings and myths of other Ancient Near Eastern cultures.

Currid knows the OT very well, and he knows the ANE very well. He looks at the similarities between events recorded in the OT alongside similar stories in other cultures. He argues for the Bible's stories as authentic and their taking of a polemical stance against the false gods of other cultures.

The book is short, and it's only an introduction to polemical theology. This was my first exposure to the concept, and I found it quite interesting. The only drawback to the book is that it raised a lot of questions in my mind for which there were no answers in the book.

Review copy provided by Crossway Books

Photo Credit: Crossway Books

No comments:

Post a Comment