Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Return to Blogging

I started blogging a couple of years ago, but I was also reading books like crazy and reviewing them because, as a reviewer, I got to read a lot of books for free. It's a nice perk, and I still love doing it. But my blog quickly went from me creating my own content and sharing my own thoughts about the world to being primarily a book review site. I even started marketing it as simply a book review blog.

The problem is that I was consuming more content than I was creating, and that's not really what I want. While I enjoy much of the work of the authors of the books I review, reading what they create often reminds me how much I wish I was doing what they're doing. I love to create. I love reading about creativity and being inspired by creativity. I've loved writing and making up stories ever since I can remember. 

I have a wonderful wife and three incredible children (ages 5, 3, & 2), and I want more than anything for my children to learn to be producers more than consumers. To give more than they take. To create relentlessly and pour their unique giftedness into the world. And I want them to see that in me. So one of my goals for 2014 is to be more of a producer than a consumer.

I'll still read and review books, but I hope to spend more time in this space creating and connecting with people who want to change the world through creativity the way I do. 

Many of my reviews will likely move to a new blog (or blogs) more focused on the particular niche of the books I enjoy reading. Here, I'll still be reviewing books primarily about writing, creativity, and my favorite fiction stories. 

Here, I'll be blogging about writing, creating, and approaching life from a pursuit of faith in Jesus. My goal when I write is to be thought-provoking and affirm life in people. That will be my goal here.

If you've visited my blog in the past to read my reviews, I appreciate it, and I hope you'll continue to visit as I re-begin this blogging journey.

Feel free to visit me on Twitter as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment