Friday, November 28, 2014

Review of the INTERSTELLAR Novelization by Greg Keyes

I'm a big fan of Christopher Nolan's movies, but I haven't seen Interstellar yet. Because I have three young children, it's typically kid movies that my family goes to the theaters to see, so movies like Interstellar get put on the back burner until DVD release. I've never been a big fan of novelizations because screenplays are written to be filmed. They're designed as a visual narrative. Even with book adaptations, the book's story is translated into a primarily visual story. Interstellar seemed like it could be good as a novel, however, because of the nature of the story. It's an end of the world tale about a group of scientists who need to find a new home for humanity to live because the earth is slowly becoming uninhabitable.

I read the novelization for Interstellar in just three days because I was so caught up in the narrative force of the story. I felt like the author translated well what I'm sure the movie's visuals intend. I could imagine that I was seeing the movie, but at the same time, I was able to see into the characters' heads to experience what they felt, especially Cooper's character.

What intrigued me about the story of Interstellar is how emotionally stirring it is. As a father of young children, it was easy to identify with Cooper's desire to give his kids the best and yet want to be with them. The relationship between Cooper and his daughter Murph alone kept me reading the novelization.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but as a novel, I was definitely intrigued by Greg Keyes' take on the story. If you want a taste of a bit more of the characterization of the characters in Interstellar, the novelization is an interesting read to check out.

Review copy provided by Titan Books

No comments:

Post a Comment